I read an article a few months ago about making your own red wine vinegar at home using a vinegar mother. Here’s the article.
Unfortunately I was unable to locate a Canadian supplier online for a vinegar mother. Several online sources mentioned that it was possible to grow your own mother from raw vinegar, as it should contain traces of mother (pasteurization kills the mother) so I purchased some Eden brand raw red wine vinegar (the only raw brand I could locate at the organic grocery) and created a 50/50 mix of raw vinegar to my favourite Shiraz (Creekside).
That was on June 7th. Two months later it smells and tastes like red wine vinegar and while I can’t specifically see a gelatinous mother forming when I hold it up to a light there is this bubbly thick look to the vinegar at the bottom of the jar. Assuming it works, I also still need to get my hands on a vinegar pot.
Updates to follow in the future, if anyone knows of a Canadian mother source please let me know.
- @deltawestmom Mmmm nice I'll have to grill some I haven't tried that yet! 9 hours ago
- Congratulations on your retirement :) but does this mean no more late Christmas shopping tweets on Christmas Eve??… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- Just harvested all the garlic scapes 😬 wazzing and chopping tomorrow, most of it headed for the freezer. https://t.co/maMickfdOB 14 hours ago
- Realized today while gardening I spent a lot of time apologizing out loud to worms, spiders and insects. 😢 Not to the slugs though. 😈 21 hours ago
- RT @gmbutts: Get your day off on the right foot. #Canada twitter.com/joelteitelbaum… 22 hours ago
Blogs I Follow