I read an article a few months ago about making your own red wine vinegar at home using a vinegar mother. Here’s the article.
Unfortunately I was unable to locate a Canadian supplier online for a vinegar mother. Several online sources mentioned that it was possible to grow your own mother from raw vinegar, as it should contain traces of mother (pasteurization kills the mother) so I purchased some Eden brand raw red wine vinegar (the only raw brand I could locate at the organic grocery) and created a 50/50 mix of raw vinegar to my favourite Shiraz (Creekside).
That was on June 7th. Two months later it smells and tastes like red wine vinegar and while I can’t specifically see a gelatinous mother forming when I hold it up to a light there is this bubbly thick look to the vinegar at the bottom of the jar. Assuming it works, I also still need to get my hands on a vinegar pot.
Updates to follow in the future, if anyone knows of a Canadian mother source please let me know.
- RT @TheGeneratorCa: If you live in the Sherwood Rise #HamOnt East mtn area, please look out for Kokomo! Indoor cat, lost! Call 905-818-1380… 16 hours ago
- @HungryHamOnt Haha have a good night 🙂 1 day ago
- @HungryHamOnt https://t.co/lua1zEShTG 1 day ago
- @HungryHamOnt Maybe someday you'll give it another try.... never say never. 😊 1 day ago
- @HungryHamOnt Yup I think buying direct from farmers is also great. 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow